Equivalent Fractions, Horrid Henry & Plants

Friday 21st April | 2 comments
4

A first week back and what a very busy week it has been!

In maths, we have continued our work on fractions. This week we have been learning how to find equivalent fractions. The children have found equivalent fractions of shapes as well as finding missing values to make fractions equivalent.

The children have understood that to find equivalent fractions, you must perform either multiply or divide by the numerator (number on top of a fraction) AND the denominator (number on ‘de-bottom’) by the same number. To find equivalent fractions to 1/3, for example, multiply the numerator (1) x 2 to get 2 and then multiply the denominator (3) x 2 as well to get 6. 1/3 = 2/6.

Children have also been taught to spot patterns in fractions to make finding equivalent fractions easier.

4/5, 8/10, 12/15, 16/20.

The numerators are going up in 4s and the denominators are going up in 5s. All the fractions are equivalent to 4/5.

Children’s homework allows them to reinforce the knowledge they have learnt this week. This is due in on Wednesday 26th April.

In literacy, we have begun our author study on Francesca Simon, the author of the Horrid Henry stories. The children researched Simon (as well as the illustrator Tony Ross) to create posters before reading a selection of Horrid Henry books. They then began to identify themes and features of the stories such as the use of alliteration for names with an adjective that describes the character’s personality (Moody Margaret, Horrid Henry, Perfect Peter) and how Henry never does as he is told at home.

Learning Log homework asks the children to think about their favourite author and why they like the stories that person has written. This is due in on Wednesday 6th May.

In science, we have begun learning about plants and leaves. All the staff have been really impressed with the children’s existing plant knowledge. Children have labelled parts of a leaf and learnt about the function of a leaf. I wonder how much they can remember!

In ICT, children have continued to produce a leaflet using the online resource Purple Mash. Purple Mash is accessible from home using the children’s Mathletics usernames (without the dash) and passwords and is a great resource for encouraging the use of computer literacy. Children have used Purple Mash regularly this year and are becoming much more confident in using it. I must stress that it’s vital to keep saving your work! If children produce any work on Purple Mash at home, it would be great to see it in school!

2 responses to “Equivalent Fractions, Horrid Henry & Plants”

1. Katy Smith FF School Governor says:

Your teachers are keeping you busy Year 3! My favourite author when I was your age was Enid Blyton and my favourite books of hers were the Folk of the Faraway Tree series. I would have loved to be one of the children going on adventures to all the different lands!

• year3farsleyfarfield says:

What an excellent choice! My favourite Enid Blyton books were The Secret Seven. I loved the adventures and investigating they did!